According to Oregon composters these materials compromise their composting programs and limit many of the environmental benefits of successful composting.
Here are nine reasons why they don’t want “compostable” packaging delivered to their facilities:
1) They don’t always compost
2) Contamination happens
3) They hurt resale quality
4) We can’t sell to organic farmers
5) They may threaten human and environmental health
6) It increases our costs and makes our job harder
7) Just because something is compostable doesn’t mean it’s better for the environment
8) In some cases, the benefits of recycling surpass those of composting
9) Good intentions aren’t being realized
Find the whole article here.